Joy to the World – Video Journey – EDUCATION
Educate the Vulnerable!
Did you know?
- About 114 million young people, still lack basic reading and writing skills. Two-thirds (63%) are women.
- Southern Asia is home to more than one-half of the global illiterate population (51%).
- Education prevents boys from being pushed into terrorism and girls into slavery.
Jesus is called the Good Teacher. Jesus was also a good student! Luke 2:52 says, “And he grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and people.”
I think we all agree that a girl not being able to read at the age of 16 is a tragedy. Every child is a gift to this world; and every child should be empowered to read, write, and think. 10/40 educates both boys and girls. In one South Asian village, no girl had ever learned to read. To bring a school to that village, we refused unless girls were also allowed to enroll. They were! The excitement in the village has been huge as both boys and girls are learning. Slowly a house church is forming in a very fundamental religious block. We believe Jesus, the Great Teacher, is delighted.
10/40 strategically looks for areas to start schools that allow followers of Jesus to enter unreached territory. Education leads to church planting among the least reached.
Currently we offer:
- Literacy classes in South Asia.
- 3 rural schools in 2 nations. Each school is surrounded by unreached people groups. Two of the schools are also used as community centers.
- 26 schools in slums. These schools become self-sustaining within about 3 years as house churches develop.
- Arise Home – This is a home of 26 girls. Each of these girls was rescued at the age of about 4-6. 10/40 has invested in their primary and secondary school. We are now offering scholarships to put some through nursing school. These older girls have grown in leadership over the past couple of years, and now they lead out on some of 10/40’s health seminars and COVID-feeding projects!
Educate the vulnerable and spread the Good News of the Good Teacher to the unreached!