HOW TO KNOW JESUS
How to Begin a Relationship with Jesus Christ
Step 1 – Jesus’ Message: Join the Kingdom
Jesus came to announce the Good News of God’s Kingdom. The kingdom of God (the kingdom of heaven) is the reign and authority of God, the one true and only God. The Good News is that God loves people and invites them to join His eternal kingdom. He invites people to live a life where He is the King of their lives, their families, and their communities because He gives abundant life both now and for eternity. He creates all people to bring Him glory as they live in obedience to Him.
The Bible Says…
· “From that time on Jesus began to preach, ‘Repent for the kingdom of heaven is near.’” Matthew 4:17
· “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
· “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10b
· “Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth – everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” Isaiah 43:6-7
Since God plans for people to join His kingdom and have abundant life right now, why do many people not line their lives up with God’s kingdom?
Step 2 – Our Problem: Separation
God created all people in His image. God created people to enjoy close relationship with Himself and to have relationship with one another. God gives humans the freedom to obey or disobey His authority. Though all humans have this freedom of choice, every person since the first people at creation have chosen to disobey God’s standards. This choice results in a broken relationship which separates us from God.
The Bible Says…
· “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23
· “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23
Our Attempt: Works
Many people think that by “being good” or “thinking positively” will help them have a relationship with God. However, NOTHING we do can earn us a relationship with God. Neither good works, “religion,” philosophy, morality, nor anything we DO can make us right with God.
The Bible Says…
· “All our righteous acts are like filthy rags…” Isaiah 64:6b
· “For it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9
BUT, there is GOOD NEWS! Although no person is good, God still desires a relationship with each one. He provides the only way to establish a relationship between Himself and people, which bridges the vast separation.
Step 3 – God’s Solution: The Cross
Jesus Christ is the only remedy for the separation between God and people. Jesus, who came to the earth as a baby, was fully human and fully God. He lived perfectly for thirty-three years, never committing one sin. He never had a bad thought; He never acted selfishly; He never said an unkind word. He paid the price of the sin of the world. After Jesus died on the cross, God raised Him back to life after three days. Jesus is alive today! Through His resurrection, Jesus defeats death. Through His death on the cross, He defeats sin and its power. The cross and resurrection prove that Jesus has power over sin, sickness, and death. THIS is the Good News of the kingdom of God.
The Bible Says…
· “But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
· “For there is one God and one mediator between God and human beings, Christ Jesus, himself human, who gave himself as a ransom for all people…” 1 Timothy 2:5
· Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
· “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even though they die.” John 11:25
BUT, simply knowing the facts about Jesus, the cross, and resurrection is NOT enough. God has provided the way, but He gives people the opportunity to make a choice. Each of us must decide if we want to accept God’s gift of forgiveness and line up in allegiance to His authority, or reject His offer of forgiveness and His kingdom standards. Now, we must make our choice.
Step 4 – Our Response: Give Full Allegiance to Jesus Christ and His Kingdom
We must trust Jesus Christ and personally decide to line up our lives with God’s kingdom – God’s authority, ways, principles, and standards.
The Bible Says…
· “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
· “Then He said to them all, ‘Those who would be my disciples must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23
· “Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, he gave the right to become children of God.” John 1:12
· “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our ‘God is a consuming fire.’” Hebrews 12:28-29
Jesus wants to be in charge of every area of your life. Is there any reason keeping you from joining God’s kingdom today? Receive Jesus Christ and join His kingdom!
How to Begin a Relationship with Jesus Christ:
· Admit your need – I am a sinner.
· Decide to turn from your sin and desire to line up your life to God’s standard – Repent.
· Believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose from the grave.
· Pray and express your desire to follow Jesus with your whole life.
Prayer of Commitment:
Here is a sample prayer you can pray. (The words are not magical. Simply express the words of your heart to God.)
Dear Lord Jesus,
I know that I am a sinner and because of my sin, I am separated from you. I need your forgiveness. I believe that you died for my sins and I want to turn away from my sins. I believe that you came to the earth, died on the cross, and came back to life after three days. Please forgive me and save me, Jesus. I want to trust and follow you as my Lord and Savior. Please fill me with Your Holy Spirit so that my whole life will bring honor to You and Your kingdom. I want you to be the Lord of my life. Thank you.
I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.
God’s Promise: The Bible
If you prayed this prayer, the Bible says…
· “For ‘whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’” Romans 10:13
· “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned but has crossed over from death to life.” John 5:24
Receiving Christ means that we are born into the family of God through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit who lives inside of every believer. This is the meaning of being “born again” (John 3:3). At some point in the past, you were born physically. The day you trust Christ as your Savior and Lord you have been born spiritually! You know the date of your physical birth. Make a note of the day of your spiritual birth! Congratulations! This is the beginning of an incredible life and relationship with Jesus Christ.
To help strengthen and deepen this relationship:
· Read your Bible every day to know Christ better. Start with the book of Matthew in the New Testament.
· Talk to God every day in prayer.
· Tell other people about Jesus.
· Join with other believers in worship, fellowship, and spiritual growth in a local church.
· You are now a “priest” in God’s kingdom. (1 Peter 2:9) Therefore, demonstrate your new life in Christ by your love and concern for other people.
May God bless you in your new life of faith!
We would love to pray for you and know of your decision to turn your life to Christ and His kingdom. If you want further information on how to follow Christ, including basic World Christian devotionals as a solid foundation, please contact us. We cannot wait to correspond with you!
Jesus said, "Pray the Lord to send out laborers, for the harvest is plentiful, but he workers are few." That is the mission of 10/40 Connections – to follow the example of Jesus by connecting the body of Christ, equipping believers, and engaging the least reached.